Wednesday 13 January 2016

The return of the secret pyjamas

So if you were eagle eyed in the last post you will have spied that I made another Monetta! Well wouldn't you? it's a lovely pattern. This one I made in a very versatile and not entirely boring black textured Jersey.


And of course I discovered just how hard it is to photograph black clothes... On a dull afternoon... Indoors (these photos are heavily edited!)

Changes to this dress were that I raised the waistline (turns out a mite too high), and I added a collar from the bonus collar pack (which is free to download). Short sleeves, and a higher hemline!

I had a few issues with the collar, I wanted to make the tie front version which is really cute. But this fabric has not the properties required for this to be a success. This is how Colette patterns envisioned it...
Photo from the Colette website

This is how mine turned out...
Photo from my sewing desk

It just would not lie flat!! Not even a little bit! So I decided that I would keep most of the collar, but modify it. So I opened it flat, cut off the bottoms, and tucked the raw edges in and hand stitched.


It's a bit wobbly because of the tucked in fabric not being the correct way to do it, but at least it sits well. The textured fabric was a great match other than the collar. It has a houndstooth 'print' texture on it which makes it more interesting than just plain black.

Unsightly back crease the result of where my hand are... It's not normally there.

I clipped the hem to sit just above my knees which is a really good length, modest but not dowdy.


And I love it, even if it was too much of an effort to smile for all of the photos (oh dear).







No comments:

Post a Comment