Monday 25 January 2016

My new favourite jumper

So after moaning about not wanting to finish off my owls jumper I am pleased to announce that I got my finger out and got it done! Motivation is a great thing, and because I was going to be traipsing around the North to buy fabric for some very special dresses, I wanted to wear my new snuggly jumper. So upon my return from work on Friday I set too with a darning needle and a packet of buttons and...


Ta da!!! My finished Owls jumper!

This is a speedy knit, and even though I only picked it up for an hour or two here and there, two weeks later and it was all knitted up... A week later and I'd actually finished it.

The only changes I'd made were to use less decreases and increases on the back, but I kinda wish I hadn't now as it feels like the decreases are in the wrong place, leaving a baggy bit...


But that is after 2 days of wearing it so it did stretch out a bit. If you look closely you can see the stripes I used to blend the two yarn colours together, it looks subtle enough that it's not an obvious change in colour (bullet dodged) but it was a pain in the ass to do. Without this striping this pattern is obscenely easy to do.


I love the yoke construction, the owls over the shoulders are really flattering, and while I thought the bulky yarn would feel too... Well... Bulky, it's actually just lovely and snuggly!


I will definately make this again (usingthe same dye lot for all of the balls of yarn), but I might go for the full decrease increase process on the back next time.

The eyes I am really in love with. I had a pack of vintage buttons already in my stash that I knew would be perfect. I think they look like the owls have stars in their eyes...


And I think it was absolutely worth spending the time to sew them on, they really make the owls come to life. I did only have 20 buttons though so the eyes run accross the front and over the right shoulder only. I like to think it has a jaunty angle feel to it.

The wool is lovely but it snags easily, so I'm going to be really careful with this jumper, and wear it shed loads.





No comments:

Post a Comment