Monday 4 January 2016

New shiny scissors

While I am without sewing machine after snapping my last needle (I know I left it until the last minute to stock up), I have decided to at least cut out my next project, which is a slightly different experience than usual.
So back in the beginning when I had just started playing around with sewing my mum bought me a sewing kit, she sews herself so she really knows what is important in a sewing box. Part of this kit was, of course, some sewing shears...


I have been using these shears since about forever ago. But last year I wasn't paying attention properly while cutting a thick fabric (can't remember what), and I hit a pin, but rather than notice the solid lump I tried to cut through it which resulted in...


If you look closely on the top blade, there is a nick. This catches on everything, but as it is closer to the hinge I have still been using the tip of the scissors to cut fabric. I have been doing this for ages. But this year for Christmas I got a brand new shiny pair.


AND they're Fiskars! Which are awesome! AND they came with some baby scissors!! I have just cut out my first pattern using my nice shiny new shears, and I can't believe I spent so long using the nicked pair (I'm not implying that I stole them, but that they are damaged, in case you were already diling the police). And I really love my baby scissors, which I have used loads already!!

Things I have learned... Always have brilliant shears, and be careful of pins!



No comments:

Post a Comment