This is yet another Sewaholic pattern (I haven't taken out shares with them, honest), the lovely and drapey Belcarra blouse.
I mentioned that I have already used this pattern, about a year ago. I wanted to make a muslin type thing as I had never sewn a raglan sleeve before, so I dove into my stash and pulled out a cute patterned cotton. Wearable muslin was my thought, and off I went.
I just stuck with a very simple view A. and it looks pretty good. In fact the fit is pretty sweet for what it is intended to be, which is a loose drapey blouse, the kind you may wear with some skinny jeans. Making it was really easy, Sewaholic patterns come with great instructions and are usually a fun project to work on. The flaw in this top is the fabric that I chose to use. I will admit that it's experiments like this which have helped me learn loads about fabric types and what they are suitable for.
This cotton is actually a vintage one, I know this because I stole it from my Mums fabric stash many years ago (sorry Mum), and she had this for a good long while. This means I have held on to the top since making it but only ever worn it twice.
It feels tight over the bust and shoulders and when I sit down it kind of lifts in the same way I would imagine an armour breastplate lifting. I felt quite disappointed with the pattern because of this, but really on reflection, this was probably misplaced.
So I decided to go back and make another out of the right kind of material. I bought a blue/grey crepe a while ago with the intention of making a t-shirt shaped top with an exposed zip on the back. But when it turned up it just kept whispering to me "I wanna be a Belcarra". So I caved!
Oh come on woman... Crack a smile once in a while!
This version, while made up exactly the same as the last one, managed to come out bigger! No idea how this happened, I guess I can only blame the crepe. I really love this though, it's big, it drapes beautifully, it's got shoulder pleats... Oh did I not mention the shoulder pleats...
I thought it would be nice to make this one a bit more interesting, so I made up version B. with cute little pleats sewn in. I was nervous about this as I've never pleated like this before, but they work and I am sooooooo smug... Not even sorry.
The rear view really shows how loose it is. I might use the neckline adjustment which appears on the Sewaholic blog as a little tutorial to narrow the collar next time, it does sometimes wander, but really not too badly. The crepe doesn't come out well in these photos, but it's really a double shade kind of effect which makes me think of tv static.