Monday 13 June 2016

How to make the easiest sewing pattern in the world difficult

Are you familiar with New Look 6217? If not then you surprise me, because it's been the topic of at least one blog post every week for the last few months... Not my blog.... Other sewing blogs... Obviously.


This little pattern includes a skirt, trousers, kimono jacket thing, and a loose kimono sleeved t-shirt... All of those in just one pattern packet... Bargain! But for today I am just here to talk about that little t-shirt. Which is so important that t appears on the packet a grand total of three times (I'm including on the actual model too), really not sure why there are two drawings of it on the front. This is a woven fabric t shirt with a button fastened neckline. It has a bit of shape, but not much, it's designed for fabric of the floaty persuasion so shape isn't a huge issue, plus it makes it easy to fit. It does have the advantage of only having two pattern pieces (though three pieces to sew together, the back is split) and can be squeezed out of a mere metre of fabric.. Plus some bias binding.

Well... What's not to love?! So I made me one..


Just look how pleased I am! I'm also kneeling down which is why the radiator is up to my waist (had nowhere higher to prop the camera). This is my wearable muslin, and it's pretty ruddy wearable if I do say so myself. It's made out of a cheap eBay viscose with little white and green hearts all over it. It has a fair drape, but you can tell it's not the really good stuff. If you follow my Instagram (or paid attention in me-made May) you will realise you have seen this before. 


The hearts are a minty green which is why they're barely showing up in the photos. Well this pattern has been hailed as easy as pie... And it is, there is very little I have to say about the construction. Sew front to back, bias bind the neck and arms, hem it and whack a button on the back...


Which by the way is really not needed as the neckline is so wide... But I kinda like the decorative effect. But, I hear you cry, you said in the post title that you made it unnecessarily difficult?! Well yes... I made a big mistake. I managed to get front and back mixed up while pinning the pattern pieces to the fabric, and before I realised my mistake I had already cut the back out... Leaving no fold on which to put my front... Oops

Solution? My very first French seam down the front...


Look closely, the black and busy pattern really hides it, but it's there. But hey, even with this extra step this pattern is a breeze. I really like the kimono sleeves, they're cute, but no effort at all to sew. And honestly, the only change I'm going to make to this pattern for the next version (oh yes... There will be more) is to go down a size... This is one baggy top!! And in this fabric (which also crinkles like mad!) I end up looking a bit...


... at the end of the day. Ha ha, just included that last photo for the humour of it. 

So short and sweet... Just like my little kimono sleeve t-shirt.





1 comment: