Wednesday 1 June 2016

Brickless

You may have noticed recently (ie towards the end of me-made May) that I gained a new shawl in my wardrobe. I may very well have mentioned I never want to take it off again (there are rumours I've been sleeping in it which I promise are untrue... Honest). I have also several times promised this shawl its own write up.

Well ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, give a warm welcome to... (Cue fanfare and drums)... Brickless!!!


This little gem was begun back when I visited my parents over the May bank holiday ( the other one, not the one just gone), I discovered over Christmas that a shawl makes for a perfect travel project, mostly because I'm still too nervous about getting DPNs past airport security and have not mastered the magic loop for socks yet. So I decided it was the turn of the Brickless pattern (by Martina Behm on Ravelry). I also wanted to make it up using Drops Alpaca, which I had used for the Maluka shawl over Christmas, and even though Brickless asks for a bigger ply, the pattern converts to 4ply really easily.
It's basically three patterned rows with increases/decreases at appropriate places, so really easy to knit sans pattern reading every few minutes.


I won't lie, this felt like it took an age to knit up, as I got closer to the edge I also decided to add a splash of colour with the teal Drops Alpaca I had leftover from my last shawl. Only because I used it as a safety thread for travelling and thought the colour combination was awesome!


See safety thread top left.. It's a great knit though, and I actually loved that at a pre-blocking stage, this shawl is just a big wobbly lump! 


But it was finally finished last Thursday, and immediately after sewing in any loose ends it went around my neck... And has been a permanent fixture since!

Sooo... Any complaints about the pattern? Nope. Any adjustments to the pattern? Just to keep knitting until each row of pattern was a good size to compensate for rubbish gauge matching. Would I knit it again? Hells yeah! I'm planning a big ol DK one for winter too!!


Conclusions... This shawl is awesome!!





No comments:

Post a Comment