Sunday 12 June 2016

A different shape of t-shirt

Also known as the Plantain t-shirt.

Ok that was an attempt to make my blog titles a bit more interesting after my last two. Maybe this one is more exciting, maybe not... I leave the judgement up to you.

I've got a bit of catch up to play for May as I had still spent my Saturday's doing a bit of sewing, but never blogged anything because of the whole me-made thing going on.

But yeah, Plantain! This is a FREE pattern from Deer and Doe in PDF form. I've made this pattern up before as a sweatshirt type thing in both red speckles and with shed loads of butterfly's. This is my very first actual t-shirt rendition. I chose this pattern rather than the Renfrew as I wanted something with a bit more drape and length to wear with skinny jeans.


The Plantain sports a really casual a-line from the bust down, and it's just that bit longer than the Renfrew so it fits the bill perfectly. From my sweatshirt versions the only adjustment for this version was to narrow the shoulders. I cut the size smaller over shoulders and sleeves and scaled out to the next size up over the hips (which I pretty much need to do with every top). I'd recommend this to anyone starting out with jersey sewing. The instructions are really easy, and there's only front, back, sleeves plus a neck finishing (also very good instructions), so it also takes no time at all to make up.


I decided to cut the sleeves at right angles to the main body to create a bit of a design feature. The fabric I used was from someone's de-stash on eBay, having no idea what it actually is, I would guess it's a cotton jersey (awesome drape). The grey has become like a uniform colour for me, but I loved the blackcurrant coloured spots on this jersey, so I can kidd myself it's got a splash of colour to it.


I'll be honest, because the Plantain pattern has so few fitting issues (as long as you get the sleeves right it's all good), there's really not much to say about it. But this little number has become one of my very favourite t-shirts... And I even have enough leftovers to make another... Maybe a vest top?



No comments:

Post a Comment