Thursday 19 May 2016

Work in progress

Well, me-made May is well into its third week, and it feels as though it has taken over just a bit here. So today I thought I'd give you a work in progress report, which is almost a reminder to myself that there's more going on at the moment.

The major WIP that is going on, and which will go on for the next few months is actually a very exciting project for me. You may have heard that my sister is getting married in August (please see recent hen-do outfit post), and I am going to be bridesmaid. So as a gift to her I am making the two adult bridesmaid dresses (we have a flower girl too, but she lives in Germany so it would be too difficult for me) and all she has to do is buy the fabric and notions. Sister is very excited about this as it has meant that she gets exactly what she wants (colour, style, textures, you name it). We already have the pattern, and all the stuff, and I'm currently about 1/3 into dress number 1.

Oh you don't get to see it... Not yet anyway... But I'll keep you updated with progress reports.

As far as knitting goes, I currently have the most WIPs that I have ever had currently on the go... 3! Ok that might not seem many to some people, but I'm a stickler for finishing something before starting something else. But right now I've got two cardigans and a shawl on the needles... And I'm having to restrain myself from starting a pair of socks!


My Bailey cardigan is tantalisingly close to being finished, I've got a mere sleeve cap, pockets, I cord and some stitching to go people!!! I might even have it finished before the end of the month. Thing is, when I get this close I suddenly stop working on it and do other things instead. I've thought on this and can only assume it's because of the fear of it not fitting! Or not really liking the finished result! Or of never wearing it! (Nightmares people... The stuff of nightmares). But I have resolved to get cracking on this, finish it over the weekend... And start on something new and juicy!!


I also have my campside Cardigan making slow progress on another set of needles. This poor thing was thwarted by my knitting in an extra eyelet and not noticing for two rows!! I was forced to rip back quite a chunk which was very disheartening... But there was no way I could have left that extra eyelet... Looking at me every time I wore it. Plus this is a work project, which gets an extra row every few lunch breaks, or between meetings. So I'm not pressuring myself too much here.


My final project is the travel knitting I started when I went to see my parents in April. Old faithful Brickless. Which (because I knitted it in 4ply rather than DK) is taking aaaaaaaages. But it's a pleasant knit with some lovely soft alpaca so I don't mind too much. After using some leftover alpaca for an airport security backup thread I decided to pop in a stripe of the turquoise just before the end. I just need to get through that last ball first. I have convinced myself that I need more shawl/scarves though so I may have already bought some merino for my next one... Oops.

2 comments:

  1. What great projects you have on the go! To me three knitting projects is pretty reasonable, though I have had to force myself recently to finish all my knitting WIP's so that I can start with a clean slate and enjoy my new project without the guilt of the UFO pile calling to me, though I'd better not mention how many sewing UFO's I have (lots)! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, after finishing one of those WIPs l've really felt the need to begin another, to fill in the gap it's left. Apparently 3 is the perfect WIP knitting number. I've got a UFO box for all my sewing bits and bobs... I'm trying to pretend it's not there though (oh the shame) :)

      Delete