Monday 29 August 2016

Is it a kimono? Is it a 40s wrap? Who knows?!

The bargain bin in Fenwicks haberdashery has a lot to answer for. I seem to feel more daring with the fabrics I source there. A while ago I found what I can only describe as woven tweed like coat fabrics in navy and cream/brown, there was also only 1m 20 of it. In spite of wondering what the hell I was going to do with it I had to have it, so it sat in the fabric pile for quite a while. Then I had a thought, kimono! So I just went with it.


In my mind I pictured a sort of thick cardigan that would be a great coverup for slightly chillier days over the summer and maybe even into autumn. It was entirely experimental and I'm really chuffed to say it worked!!

I used a Butterick pattern (6176) which is meant to be made up in a loose flowing fabric. I also shortened it before cutting version b, there wouldn't have been nearly enough fabric, but I also wanted it to hang just at my hip.


The only other adjustment I made was to narrow the body, but this was after I had stitched it up. It was just too bulky under the arms, but I didn't want to loose any of the sleeve length so I just stitched another line up under the arm, this has left a drop sleeve kind of effect which I really like.


You can see the original sleeve seam just down from the shoulder.

Because the fabric frays very easily (it is a loose weave) I finished the edges with some bias binding, but the inside sleeves I zig zag stitched over with both layers of fabric together to make it a bit sturdier (I would normally have ironed them flat and done each side separately).


What I really love about it is the vintage wrap feeling to it, even with just a t shirt and jeans it feels glamorous! And it's lovely and warm too.


For an entirely experimental bit of sewing the whole thing was really satisfying. It was one of those really exciting projects that you take a step back from at the end and just say YESSSSSSSSS!!



I think experimental sewing might be the way forward, I see much more of it in my future.


No comments:

Post a Comment