Thursday 21 April 2016

A whole new world

Excuse the melodramatic title, but it's kinda what I'm feeling right now. Ok first things first, where on earth have I been? Hundreds of posts for a couple of weeks and then a sudden radio silence. Well last weekend it was my sisters hen do, and as the head bridesmaid I had a lot to get done, the least of which was making an outfit for the event. But more on that later, I'm here to tell you about a little revelation I had in WH Smiths this afternoon...

Knitting magazines


Don't get me wrong, I knew they existed... I just never realised they were this good!! I'm already a regular of the sewing magazine, which I buy primarily for the free patterns (£6 for a magazine and up to 2 patterns that I would probably not be adventurous enough to buy... Yes please). I used to glance over the knitting section and think pffft, it's all beginner or Nanna knitting stuff. But then today these two caught my eye.

They also come with free patterns, The Knitter has a pattern card...


Ok a bit Nanna-ish (in my opinion) but the other patterns in the book are great.


And Knit Today came with a cowl pattern and lovely bamboo needles...


But the shop had one of each copy open to allow the (probably biased like me) punters to have a flick through. These magazines are wonderful, they have the same energy as the sewing magazines I usually buy, and the patterns included are really lovely (no Nanna jumpers to be found!)

Knit today includes lots of home knitting, throws, toys... And lampshades? Erm, OK.


But there's also quite a bit about new types of yarn, and interviews with designers and knitters.


The Knitter on the other hand includes umpteen patterns, including that awesome purple number on the cover. It has more patterns per page than Knit Today, but does include some chat too. In all I am really pleasantly surprised by the fantastic non-beginner Nanna-less style of these magazines... And the sinking feeling that my month has just gotten two magazines more expensive.


Though I should probably say no bribery was involved in my gleeful report of these magazines, I just think they're awesome.





No comments:

Post a Comment