Wednesday 23 March 2016

When you're just not feeling it...

I started a project a while ago as something to wear during the springtime. It makes sense, surely, to knit it now and have it ready for when the weather warms up (or wear it immediately after its finished and shiver a little). Ok, so I chose I really beautiful pattern from Ravelry (big surprise) written by Jennifer Dassau called Lorem Ipsum.

This is a raglan cardigan constructed neck to hem, and I really love the way the pattern is written and the cardigan starts to form on the needles


See here the raglan sleeves growing from the neck. I mean this is an awesome pattern... And look how pretty the finished item is...


But all I could think of throughout making this was... I'm going to look like Rab C. Nesbitt!! 


Erm... No thanks. Now at this point I want to stress how wonderful the pattern is and urge you to browse all of the really pretty finished cardigans... But for me, I just wasn't feeling it.

It really brought home to me how each person has patterns which are suited to them, and while we might find others adorable... Would we ever end up using them? And so I decided to bring in the frog...


And return the cardigan to the balls from whence it came! I love this about knitting... If you ain't feeling it, just start again!

I do blame the yarn choice for my general meh with this cardigan though.This is a merino wool, but it doesn't have the squishy softness merino usually has, it's slightly crunchy and has shed a bit, in fact I feel kind of lukewarm about it (I'm hoping a nice soak will loosen it up a bit). So really, to feel more affection, I really should be using a pattern that I absolutely know I'm going to love...

Let me introduce you to the Bailey Cardigan by Amy Christoffers (also available on Ravelry... Would you believe it)...


This lovely piece of bulky goodness looks right up my alley. It's simple but has pockets... POCKETS!! And I think will do the yarn much more credit. So I have begun again, and only time will tell whether this one gets more love from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment