Sunday 13 March 2016

A tale of two sweatshirts

Part of my winter sewing planning included making a snugly sweatshirt. I had planned to hack one of my pre used patterns, but then I spotted the Fraser sweatshirt from Sewaholic patterns.


This is exactly what I had in mind for my sweater, I doubt I could have effectively hacked this, and I definately couldn't have hacked that gorgeous built in collar. So I promptly bought it (and their Renfrew t shirt pattern too... I couldn't resist) and set too making it. I had a red quilted jersey set aside for this sweatshirt, but I spontaneously decided to make the sleeves from view A with the body from view B.. Just to be awkward.

The pattern is super easy, I'd say it sews up from cutting to finishing in about 4 hours, it might be quicker if you have a serger... But I don't, so I zig zag stitched away at the size 8, and came out with...


Now, first things first... I really don't like this fabric... When I had it on the clothes horse after washing it I thought it would be perfect, but wearing it.... It's slinky!! This fabric would be awesome for sportswear, but I am not sporty, I like cosy things, with naturally feeling fabrics. This is just wrong.

Now let's move on to what I have been talking about regarding fitting, this jumper doesn't quite fit properly. I may have mentioned my narrow shoulders, the sleeves here are hanging off them.


Although I kinda like the shoulder patches. Also I have a small top half which morphs into quite wide hips... This sweatshirt is squeezed really tightly over my curvy hips.


Just look at that left shoulder... Urgh! So after trying it on I can absolutely say I will never be wearing this sweatshirt, which is a shame because it is quite nice to look at, it's just not what I wanted.


Ah well, I shall put it in a bag for a charity shop, maybe someone else will wear it and love it.

So back to the drawing board, I used my newly acquired fitting skills to take in the shoulders, and scaled out the pattern an extra size to cover my hips. I also went back to search for a better (for me) jersey, and I found an awesome fleece backed grey number (I did say I wanted cosy). I also decided to try the cute little collar version, but I hacked the sleeves to make them full length but without the shoulder patch...


Now THIS jumper is what I was looking for. The shoulders, while only having a minor adjustment, feel much better, and the waistband sits comfortably. 

The collar is made with the jersey that I dyed a little while ago, I love it with the grey. And because the neckband would have been soooooo bulky with the fleece backed jersey, I used a grey ribbing instead


I found a tutorial on the Sewaholic blog to give a bit more guidance for getting those points nice and sharp, I highly recommend you check it out! The ribbing is slightly darker than the rest of the sweatshirt, but having the red in between really helps.


One day I will also learn how to make a sway-back adjustment, but on this jumper I think it's just fine having the extra bagginess there.


I have already worn this sweatshirt loads, it is super warm and snug thanks to the fleece. I am in love with it. I have a feeling that this 'winter' pattern will sneak it's way into my summer sewing plans too, because summer up in the North East can still be pretty chilly!

Maybe I should hold onto that red one, it might come in handy over summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment