Wednesday 2 December 2015

Colouring in


On my 'to knit' list there be owls. Not sure why that needed to be said in a 'here there be monsters... Arrrrr' kind of a voice, but hey if the eye patch fits...
Sorry where was I? Ah yes I absolutely love the 'Owls' pattern by Kate Davies (to be easily spotted doing the rounds on Ravelry).


 I have decided that this is the year that I finally get round to giving that a go. I have even decided to stash bust for this project! Go me! I have a beautiful 'Schachenmayr Boston' that I found in the bargain bin of John Lewis. It is perfect for this jumper, it's soft, squishy, and pretty close to the example jumper on the pattern. Trouble is they only had 4 balls of this yarn, and I needed another 4 balls. So I headed to the Internet to find the same brand and colour-way (00092, no fancy names here) Then I fell fowl of the dye lot issue. When I found a supplier that sold this yarn there was no option to request a dye lot, I had to just keep my fingers crossed and buy the extra balls. And what I got was...


So yeah, one is greener than the other, and in natural light, noticeably so! It would just look odd to start it in one shade then randomly change to the other... So I have been plotting, and swatching, and plotting some more.
What I want to do is start with the greener yarn at the hem, and by striping it near the colour change, to blend it in like a feature of the jumper... Because I obviously planned the whole thing this way (ahem). Doing the same with the sleeves to match the body too. This creates a sort of...

Yeah I forgot to take a photo of the actual swatch before ripping it back out (to save the yarn for the jumper itself), so here is an artists reproduction.
The swatch looks ok, everyone keep your fingers crossed for the final jumper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment