Sunday 27 December 2015

Christmas gift knitting

Around this time last year I set out my goals of 2015, one of which was to learn how to knit socks. I achieved this goal in April when I made my first pair of little, slightly wonky, ankle socks.


After I'd succeeded with these I decided that my Christmas gift knitting would be socks. I planned four pairs for my brother and sister and their other halves, and I also decided to begin them much earlier than I began my gift knitting last year! So at the end of October I selected my pattern ('Rye' which can be found for free on Ravelry - I love my free patterns) and decided to use some stash yarn (of which I can't remember the brand as it's been there forever, but it is a green Aran polyester).


The first pair flew off the needles surprisingly quickly, thanks to the Aran weight I suspect. The pattern is great! It's really easy to follow and has a really simple and effective design with its panel of garter stitch running down the front. My gauge was out by quite a bit, but after recalculating for the correct size (provided on the pattern) it turned out I just needed to follow the pattern for a size smaller than was needed. Yay! Easy calculations.

Me trying on pair #1

I managed to finish the pair for Phil and Maeve in good time to post them over to Ireland which I felt very smug about. And pair #3 and #4 were finished by the end of November. So I decided to go a bit nuts and also make some for my other half and my parents too..


So seven pairs of socks later (I was knitting right up to my deadline of my trip south to stay with my parents) and everyone gets matching Christmas socks. Because I felt so proud of my collection I began to think up creative ways of presenting them.. So I created labels...


These were very simply typed out in word, printed and folded to size. I also added a few stitches of either pink or blue yarn on the ankle just under the ribbed band. I figured it would be easier to identify them as the girls and boys all got identical pairs. Otherwise there would have been pairs of one big one smaller socks, which is simply silly.


I used the label for washing instructions, and have called them 'Kat Knits' in honour of my great Aunty Kit (great as in my grandads sister, not just because she was fantastic... She was pretty great though), she used to create hand knitted jumpers for us (all my cousins) every year when we were kids, they were lovingly known as Kit Knits.


On Boxing Day I was really pleased that people appeared in the morning wearing their new socks, these feet belong to my other half. I found it very funny that he sat next to me on the sofa each night as I churned them out, but never noticed me making his pair!!


Yes I shall be making socks again, they make people dance, except for my dad... Who did dance just after this photo, even though he really doesn't look amused.... He he








No comments:

Post a Comment