Thursday 29 October 2015

Twin Peaks... Unexpected clothing jealousy


So I have just recently returned from my brothers wedding (don't worry, outfit post to come soon), and I was feeling perhaps a little worse for wear. But that's ok, I have had the complete Twin Peaks saga on my 'to watch' list for some time, and what better way to spend some down days after a big event than binge watching a series (or two).


For those of you who have been living under a rock for the last 25 years (yes people it really has been that long), this is a series about a prom queen (Laura Palmer) who gets murdered in a small town, and Kyle MacLachlan comes along to investigate... Then things get weird. That's the short description and really all you need to know to convince you to watch it. Everyone in that town has some shady secret, and they all get revealed as time goes on.


What came as a surprise to me, was how amazing it is visually... It was first released in 1990, the era of super baggy clothes and brown lipstick, so I never expected to actually experience wardrobe envy (I remember the 90s, it was not a good look for me!!). One character in particular stood out for me, the somewhat crazy Audrey Horne, who has the best collection of jumpers in the entire programme.



I'm not going to lie, bottom right aside I also kinda love her hair. Now this is not a series to watch if you want to see everyone in wonderfully fashionable clothes... Everyone remembers log lady...


And the outstanding perm of Lucy behind the reception of the Sheriffs office...


Then there's the 'some will like it, some probably not' fashion choices of Donna Hayward...


But some of Audrey's clothes did make me wonder whether I could replicate them in some way. One of my favourite of her jumpers is a red not quite polo neck with slight batwing sleeves...


I have decided I really need this jumper... And perhaps a kilt to go with it (or let's not get too excited and just stick to the jumper). I'm pretty sure I could make a frankenpattern after a good scour on Ravelry, then all I need is a deep berry 4ply.... Totally doable. 

I also really love her lace insert jumper... But not so much the toilet wall decorations..


I mean yikes!! That's pink!! But toilet aside, again this could be achieved. Seamwork's Astoria with some tweaking anyone? It's absolutely possible to create a lace panel on the front of this pattern, using a really loose knit fabric and perhaps poofing the sleeves out a little for that 80s-90s feel. The skirt she's wearing in this picture is a tweed like material in a below the knee wiggle skirt.


This blouse definitely has more of a vintage feel about it, I love the tie neckline. It feels very like a pussy bow blouse but in a heavier fabric, this would work really well in a jersey. Again she's got her signature wiggle skirt on with this, but it would also look great with cigarette trousers.

One of my favourite outfits is the tree blouse. This is just a simple pattern, what makes this special is the fabric print. This could actually be a blouse bought in top shop right now, it's such an up to date pattern!


It's just wonderful watching a really great, If not a bit odd, series and feeling so surprised with some of the beautiful clothes included. A great reminder that this era wasn't all about dungarees, double denim, and shell suits!

Now excuse me while I go any put on yet another disc, I'm determined to find out just who did kill Laura Palmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment